Shortly after the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 virus a pandemic, Serbian President Mr. Vučić introduced a state of emergency in Serbia to stop the spread of COVID-19 virus. This decision was made on Sunday, 15 of March 2020 and came into force immediately.
After President’s public announcement, the Government of the Republic of Serbia adopted a Decree on emergency measures in order to prevent further spread of the decease, which has already affected 55 people in Serbia.
By this Decree, the following emergency measures were adopted:
- The borders of Serbia have been closed to all foreign nationals, with the exception of diplomats accredited in Serbia and foreigners with a residence permit. Serbian citizens, accredited diplomats and foreign nationals residing in Serbia who are entering the country are obliged under the criminal responsibility to remain in self-isolation for at least 14 days and those who are arriving from Switzerland, Iran, Romania, Spain, Germany, France, Austria, Slovenia and Greece must spend 28 days in isolation.
- All preschools, schools and universities have been closed.
- All citizens must be self-isolated – no gathering, visits or leaving the house without urgent need is permitted with the exception of going to shops and pharmacies, throwing the thrash or walking the pet. It is recommended for older people over 65 not to go out at all.
- The government called on all employers in Serbia to allow their employees to work from home as much as possible. However, if it is not possible to work from home, the work process should be organized in such a way that all hygienic and technical measures for preventing the spread of contagion are strictly applied.
- Daily public transport has been reduced and night public transport has been completely cancelled.
- There are strict penalties for raising prices of essential food and safety equipment.
Serbian government’s appeal to everyone to take strict care, follow all the instructions and not leave the house without urgent need will hopefully prevent the COVID-19 virus from spreading.